Who we are:Owner/operator--Bethany Brown, OTR
Bethany Brown received a masters degree in occupational therapy at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Therapy in Ocean is owned and operated by an experienced, registered occupational therapist with surfing competency and local knowledge of the ocean environment.
All surfing and ocean oriented therapies will be provided by qualified, registered occupational or physical therapists with life guard certification.
What we provide:Therapy in Ocean provides occupational therapy services to children and adults with a variety of special needs in a safe and therapeutic ocean environment.
Treatment benefits include:
- Ocean safety and respect for the environment is integral to therapy services
- All sessions will begin with understanding of important safety precautions and practice
- Therapy will begin with basic gross motor and swimming skills as a pre-requisite to standing or riding on a board
- Stretching and muscle preparation will precipitate all activity
- Soft beginner surf boards and ocean safety equipment
Therapy in Ocean's surfing and water oriented occupational therapy uses a sensory- motor based approach to therapy with the premise that combining repetitive and purposeful movement with the unique sensory medium of water can increase motor control, psychosocial and cognitive skills.
- Multi-sensory environment provides opportunities for adaptive response
- Improve and maintain muscle tone, posture, motor planning and balance
- Facilitate higher cognitive skills through integration and assimilation of lower level skills
- Develop play skills and leisure interests
- Achieve a sense of mastery and well-being
- Demonstrate volitional participation--the unique surfing experience provides an innate motivation essential for effective therapy outcomes.
What is occupational therapy? Therapeutic Benefits of the Ocean Understanding Sensory Function/Dysfunction. Motor Skills needed for surfing.
Website by Sheldon Brown